Wednesday 2 April 2014

40 Days of Lent: Day 29

Day 29 - Luke 16:  13-15 - SH

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”

The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. He said to them,“You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God’s sight."

When I was in my late 20s, I went to visit a man from our church who was close to death.  At one point he whispered, "thanks for coming to say good-bye, even though doing this makes you terribly nervous."  He saw through me, and his honesty made me smile.

There's no sense in beating around the bush on the way to death.  Jesus lays it out here in stark black and white:  "folks, you've got to choose. You can't put God in your back pocket as an insurance policy while pursuing other things like money."

"Lord Jesus, as I follow you to the cross, search my heart and grant me courage and grace to put to death the things that hinder my following you."  

No comments:

Post a Comment