Friday 4 April 2014

40 Days of Lent: Day 31

Luke 16: 7-10 -- Mark dV

“Suppose one of you has a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Will he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, ‘Come along now and sit down to eat’? Won’t he rather say, ‘prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink’? Will he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only 
done our duty.’"

Do Jesus' words here feel harsh to you?  

A posture of service is better than a posture of entitlement. The servant is hungry, but he must serve. The servant is called to follow Jesus who “humbled himself by becoming obedient to death...therefore God exalted him to the highest place”. 

Our God is holy. When we do work for him we are unworthy servants, doing holy work. Our duty is our privilege. Our hearts do not say,  “My work is hard - where’s my congratulations?”, but “My work is holy - I am an unworthy servant for a bigger cause”.  

Today, please know that your work for Redeemer is holy and ultimately for a bigger cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment