Thursday 3 April 2014

40 Days of Lent: Day 30

Luke 17: 5-6 -- Mark dV

The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”   He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.

I have always struggled to relate to this passage; why would I want to uproot a tree and plant it into the sea? This is not normal now, but neither was it then. Trees don’t do this.

Jesus said with “faith as small as small as a mustard seed” the abnormal was possible. Can I have a baby faith and expect the seemingly absurd to happen? Yes. I have come to the conclusion that Christianity is less about the size of a personal faith, and more about the size of a personal God (without discounting the necessity of the former). This may sound cliche, but it’s what I need to know when I am praying for what is seemingly absurd: faith is less about me and my capacity and more about Him and his capacity.

Contemplating the cross at lent reminds me of His capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment