Monday 27 January 2014

25 Ways to Read Scripture - Day 22

Pray the Scriptures

Any Scripture passage can be transformed into a prayer that flows from the heart of the reader.  Ponder how a major character in a Biblical story is your spiritual brother or sister, and pray about this pondering.  Ponder how the passage reveals the heart of God, and pray for wisdom and discernment to see this dimension of the heart of God more clearly, and invite the Spirit to shape you as an Image-bearer that reflects the heart of God.

For example, take Mark 3:  20-21, 31-35, a passage where Jesus' mother and brothers conclude that he is mentally ill.  Read these short verses 2-3 times.  Your prayer might take this kind of shape:

"Dear Lord Jesus, your own family questioned your sanity.  You are so far beyond our understanding!  I haven't explicitly questioned your sanity, but I'm good at ignoring those dimensions of your teaching that strike me as "over the top," a bit much.  Something in me would rather fit you into my neat and tidy boxes, as his family wanted to do.  But I do want to follow you, and therefore you declare that I am part of your family too.  Continue to shape me, refine me, as your brother or sister, and thank you for beginning a good work in me.  Amen."  

Now try it with another passage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment