Sunday 10 November 2013

30 WAYS TO PRAY: DAY 10

Prayer of examen

 This type of prayer is a reflection on what God has done and where you have seen Him present throughout your day.  It's a good prayer exercise for a Sunday.

 There are two aspects to prayer of examen:

1)      Examen of consciousness – Take some time to recall what you have done and said today. Where did you see God working and speaking in and through you today? How did you respond to His presence?
2)      Examen of conscience – Consider areas in your life today in which you need cleansing and healing. Ask God to search your heart (Psalm 139:23-24). Be careful to search your heart in a way that sees through God’s eyes, not your own, that your prayers might not become  narrow in unexamined praise or blame.

Journaling is helpful in this type of prayer.

Sample: Holy God, thank You for Your promise that You will never leave us or forsake us. God, I know that You were with me through every moment of today and I want to thank You for showing up today in __________. I’m sorry for the times when You tried to capture my attention and yet I didn’t respond to You or I didn’t recognize that it was You speaking. God, I know that there are areas in my life that I need You to help me fix so that I may honour and glorify You in everything that I do. What do You see in me that You’d like to help me work on today?

No comments:

Post a Comment