Friday 15 November 2013

30 WAYS TO PRAY: DAY 15

Praying over our prayer-life at mid-month

We’re halfway through November!   This Friday is a good day to reflect on the past 15 days and our prayer life in general, asking the Lord questions like these:

Lord, do I beat myself up too much about the inconsistencies in my prayer life, instead of simply learning to engage in daily conversation with you?  Pour your peace into my prayers.

Lord, am I trying too much to pray like some of the role models in my life (real or imagined), instead of leaning into prayer rhythms that flow from my own temperament and life patterns?  Pour your wisdom into my prayers. 

Lord, are my prayers running a bit too much on auto-pilot, so that the same phrases and patterns settle in immediately, dulling my heart to significant conversation with you?  Pour holy discontent into my prayers. 

Lord, am I trying too hard to be "real" in my prayers, limiting myself to my own personal prayer vocabulary?  Lead me back to your great prayer book, the Scriptures (and especially the Psalms) to stretch my prayer horizons.  

Lord, which of the prayers that I’ve tried this month might become regular visitors in my prayer landscape, deepening my conversation with you for the longterm?  Pour your discernment into my prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment