Thursday 21 November 2013

30 WAYS TO PRAY: DAY 21

 Praying the Ordinary

Paul instructed the Thessalonians to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Today, focus on seeing and serving God in the everyday, ordinary events, conversations, housework, homework, office work, etc. God is everywhere in our ordinary surroundings. “Our vocation [and studies] is an asset to prayer because our work becomes prayer. It is prayer in action.” (Prayer: Finding the Heart’s True Home, by Richard J. Foster) As 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” Our ordinary days are enriched when we live to honour God in everything and pray to Him through every moment.

Sample: Dear God! See that bird over there that’s singing so beautifully? Thank You for it and for reminding me of the detail and beauty that You’ve put into Your creation.

God, washing dishes really isn’t my favourite thing to do, but I’m here doing them anyways. Thank You for scrubbing the dirt off of me and gently drying me off. Your word says that you are the potter and I am the clay (Is 64:8). You have a purpose for me, Master Potter, and thank You that I can’t slip through Your fingers and fall.

Dear Jesus, the person walking towards me in the hall often looks dark and troubled.  I don't know his (her) story, but you do.  Please pour your grace and truth into his life with encouragement and healing.  

Lord, today I laughed really hard ! Thank You for filling me with joy and for letting each day have its glad moments. It truly warms my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment