Friday 29 November 2013

30 WAYS TO PRAY: DAY 29

Praying in the winter seasons of our faith

How do you pray when you cannot pray?  How do you pray when it seems like God has let you down and you don’t trust him enough to pray to Him?  Or you have strayed away from Him and, in your shame, feel that He does not want to listen to you?  Or you are too spiritually exhausted or broken or apathetic to pray? 

The beauty of the call to prayer we receive from our Lord is that there are even prayers for the seasons when we cannot pray.  The Psalms are filled with such prayers (just do a google search for “Psalms of lament), and they often take our own inability to pray and place it inside the multitude of prayers of the believing community throughout history (for starters, see Psalms 13, 42 and 88).

Some ways to pray when we cannot pray:

Lord, I don’t know if you are there and if you want to hear from me – but I am broken and confused and _______; I am longing for an encouraging glimpse of any kind….

Lord, I don’t love you; Lord, I don’t want to love you; but Lord, I do want to want to love you (Annie Lamott).

No comments:

Post a Comment